Sunday, March 11, 2012

Strawberries in the dark

Last night I planted all 50 strawberry plants in the dark. It was getting pretty cold, too! But I'm proud of myself for getting those and our 2 new blueberry bushes in the ground. Now we have a strawberry hill and a blueberry hill.
Our veggie garden is germinating seeds of lettuce, kale, swiss chard, brussels sprouts, and sugar snap peas. I plan to get purple pole beans like we had two years ago--they grew gloriously and were beautiful raw in a salad. The herb garden now boasts an onion patch with common and Chinese chives, green onions, and the shallots and garlic I put in months ago. Those have tall stalks already because of the warm winter. And the iris bulbs I planted in the fall grew tall as early as the end of January, yet will they flower when the time comes? We'll see. I'm looking forward to a new flower bed I planted in the front garden as well. Next year I'll order some white daffodils with orange centers; they're my favorite jonquils right now.

No comments: